Today I welcome Sarah Kay Moll to the blog to answer a few questions for Author Interview³.
Sarah Kay Moll Author Interview³
1) Tell us 3 fun facts about your writing history
The first thing I wrote that really caught any attention was an essay in the sixth grade about my dog who died. It made my principal cry.
In my sophomore year of college, I wrote a grant convincing the University to pay me to write a chapbook of poetry. I imagine they came to regret this, as my poetry is terrible.
I wrote the sequel to Dark City first, and became so enamoured with my character’s backstory that I just had to write the prequel.
2) Describe your writing style in 3 words
Gritty, psychological noir.
3) Name 3 of your literary influences
1. Noir, particularly by modern Scandinavian writers like Jo Nesbo.
2. Comic books and graphic novels, particularly the ones starring Batman.
3. Hanya Yanagihara
4) Share your 3 favourite books
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
5) What are your 3 essential writing tools?
1. A good keyboard. I type very fast and need a light, responsive keyboard.
2. Coffee. And more coffee.
3. Did I say coffee?
6) Where are your 3 favourite places to write?
1. My desk, which faces a window with a large flowering tree just outside.
2. A nearby coffeeshop—they have a bar with a big window.
3. On my balcony while the cat sits by my feet and stares balefully at dogs walking past.
7) Name 3 items on your writing wish list
1. Fan art. Nothing makes me squee harder than when someone does fan art of my characters.
2. A graphic novel adaptation.
3. A blurb from Hanya Yanagihara, Stephen King, or Patrick Rothfuss.
8) What are your top 3 tips for aspiring writers?
1. Write what you love. You’re going to be doing it for a long time and you might not make much money, so you’d better love it.
2. Get feedback on your writing, ideally from someone who reads a lot.
3. Read. Read. Read.
9) Tell us 3 of your writing plans for the year ahead
1. About seven months ago I started a new job as a grant writer, so I’m going to include that and say that I plan to raise as much money as possible for the non-profit I work for.
2. I’m going to continue work on the next two books in the Dark City series.
3. I’m going to start work on the fourth book in the series.
10) Tell us about your latest release
Dark City is the end result of four years of obsessive writing. It’s a story about good, evil, and the shades of gray between. It’s a story about love, death, and the possibility (or not) of redemption. I loved it and I hope you do too!
Sarah Kay Moll
23 July 2017
NineStar Press / Amazon
Jude has a tender heart. Yet he was born into a criminal empire and groomed from childhood to step into his father’s violent footsteps. To survive, he created a second personality. Ras is everything he isn’t—cruel, remorseless, and utterly without fear, as incapable of love as Jude is of malice.
But when Ras meets a ruthless socialite, he begins to feel a strange stirring of emotion, a brush of Jude’s passion against his own dark heart. Meanwhile, Jude finds himself with a knife in his hand, the evil in Ras’s soul bleeding into his own.
As the walls between them crumble, they could lose everything—their lovers, their family, and their hold on the dark city itself.
Coming together could break them…or make them whole.
Sarah Kay Moll is a wordsmith and an amateur homemaker. She’s good with metaphors and bad with coffee stains, both of which result from a writing habit she hasn’t been able to quit. She lives a mostly solitary life, and as a result, might never say the right thing at parties. She’s passionate about books, and has about five hundred on her to-read pile. When she does go out, it’s probably to the library, the theater, or the non-profit where she volunteers.
Sarah lives in a beautiful corner of western Oregon where the trees are still changing color at the end of November and the mornings are misty and mysterious. She spends her free time playing video games and catering to her cat’s every whim.
Website / Facebook / Newsletter