Today I welcome Ava Hayden to the blog to answer a few questions for Author Interview³.
1) Tell us 3 fun facts about your writing history
• I wrote my first MM romance (His Fallow Heart) for Dreamspinner’s Daily Dose because I had just finished a lot of research on Alberta farming for a YA novel I was working on, and I got stuck on the novel and needed a change of pace.
• Oddly enough, some friends and acquaintances who sneer at Romance in general think the fact that I write MM Romance is cool. Not sure how that computes exactly…
• I joined my local RWA chapter in 2017 (CaRWA - https://www.calgaryrwa.com/), a super active chapter with members writing every category of romance, and I am so glad I did. Forty+ hard-working, savvy colleagues inspire me whenever I’m tempted to whine and hold a one-woman pity party. (The same is true of my fellow writers in RRW, the Rainbow Romance Writers chapter of RWA.)
2) Describe your writing style in 3 words
Not disciplined enough!
3) Name 3 of your literary influences
Robert Heinlein. Gillian Bradshaw. Andrew Vachss.
4) Share your 3 favourite books
Just three? I have a gazillion favourite books. Okay, how about this:
• Favourite MM historical romance: A Minor Inconvenience (Sarah Granger)
• Favourite YA paranormal/fantasy: Sunshine (Robin McKinley)
• Favourite gay lit classic: The Charioteer (Mary Renault)
5) What are your 3 essential writing tools?
• Er, more coffee?
6) Where are your 3 favourite places to write?
• My office
• My living room couch (watching the world go by in between writing bursts)
• I would *like* to write at a local coffee shop that just opened in my neighbourhood but only when it doesn’t entail walking there in -20C or slogging through slushy snow on warmer days. Maybe later this spring.
7) Name 3 items on your writing wish list
Would love to write
a) A Dreamspun Desires title
b) A romantic suspense title
c) A YA romance
8) What are your top 3 tips for aspiring writers?
• Never worry about how old you are (or aren’t). Age is irrelevant.
• Find some like-minded people (Facebook group, real life group, etc.).
• Just do it. Start. Write.
9) Tell us 3 of your writing plans for the year ahead
• Finish the current round of rewrites on a YA novel.
• Start (and hopefully finish) an MM romantic suspense novel.
• Finish the current in-progress MM romance (sorry, no details in case I jinx it)
10) Tell us about your latest release
My Dreamspinner Press World of Love series entry Highballer takes place in Alberta in a tree planting camp. It came out in October 2017.
What happens when the man is as tempting as the money?
Remy Delacour’s family doesn’t believe in mainstream medicine, and when Remy’s boyfriend reveals that Remy is majoring in nursing, they cut him off. He has to find money to finish his education—fast. And he is so done with boyfriends.
Levi Aronson met the guy of his dreams and followed him to Australia. He knew the chances for a lasting romance were slim—and boy, was he right. Now he’s back in Canada, a year behind in his university program, and short of funds. He needs money, not another man.
Tree planting is a way to make a lot of money fast, but it’s one of the hardest jobs in the world. When Levi, an experienced planter, sees pretty, sloe-eyed Remy, Levi is certain he’ll never last.
They’ll have to pry Remy’s shovel from his cold, stiff fingers, because he won’t quit—or let anything take his eyes off the prize. When a storm brings Remy and Levi together, each finds the other a distraction from the big goal. But can anything develop between two men who have sworn off relationships?
Ava Hayden lives and writes in Canada but grew up in the southern United States.
When not writing, she loves reading yaoi manga and LGBTQ+ romance, taking afternoon tea, baking, seeing plays, hearing live music, and hiking (even though she once came face-to-face with two grizzlies on a trail). Most of the time her life isn’t that exciting (and doesn’t require her to carry bear spray), and she’s okay with that.